When you are building a new home, you want to have it your way, and rightly so. Everything from the floor plan layout, the home’s character and style, features, systems, materials, and décor should reflect who you are and your philosophy on life. Hiring an top residential architects in Miami for the design and project management of the home can make the whole process go smoothly. Here are some of the skills an architect brings to a project and some of the functions he or she performs:
1. Understands the Scope of the Project: A licensed architect understands the details and phases of the project and has the expertise to develop and refine the vision so you can understand the scope of the project.
2. Knows State and Local Codes: The licensed architect is knowledgeable in the building codes applicable to your project and designs the structure of the home to meet these codes. They usually prepare most of the documentation necessary for you to get your building permits, saving you both time and money.
3. Hires the Team: When you secure an architect’s project management services, he or she heads the team and makes sure everyone knows their job. They answer the myriad of questions from the builder and their subcontractors, and makes sure any changes do not affect the structural and architectural integrity of the design.
4. Oversees the Project: The licensed architect is involved in the day-to-day construction of the project, making him or herself available for consultations, meetings, and questions from the site. Some architects will also hire the subcontractors for you and then establish and manage the construction schedule. Throughout the project, your architect is your advocate, staying true to your design and your budget.
5. Can Green Up Your Project: Are you interested in building a green home? A green architect will give you numerous options for saving money and protecting your investment in the home design and material selection processes.
If you’re planning on building a new home, hiring an architect is well worth your investment to ensure the end result is exactly what you wanted.
Jeremy Bonin, a principal partner of Bonin Architects & Associates, is an award-winning green architect and the author of TIMBER FRAMES: Designing Your Custom Home. With a special interest in sustainable design and green homes, structural insulated panels (SIPs), as well as timber frame construction, Jeremy incorporates renewable energy practices where possible, including geo-thermal, solar, radiant heat, and energy-efficient foundation systems.